The Animal Care and Control Department serves Hardin County with four animal control officers and seven other employees, as well as more than 50 volunteers. At any given time, they care for up to 200 animals in the shelter.
Hardin County Animal Shelter
220 Peterson Drive
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
Hours for Receiving Animals: Monday-Saturday, Noon – 4 p.m.
Adoption Hours: Monday-Saturday, Noon-4 p.m.
Emergency after-hours number: 270-737-4217
If you have a lost pet, please send pet info and a picture to our e-mail address listed below.
Animal Care & Control Director
What should I do if I’ve lost a pet?
- If you’ve lost a pet, we encourage you to visit the shelter in person to search for it and leave your contact information with a description of your lost pet. Descriptions of animals over the phone can be difficult to interpret.
How can I volunteer at Hardin County Animal Shelter?
- Request volunteer application in person at the shelter. You must be 14 or older to volunteer.
What other ways can I support the Animal Shelter?
- Hardin County Animal Shelter accepts donations of food and supplies. Also, Friends of Hardin County Animal Shelter helps provide materials and equipment outside of the shelter’s budget.
- More information on donating to Friends of Hardin County Animal Shelter is available here – http://www.fohcas.org
What are the animal adoption fees?
- Dogs are $90, which includes shots, deworming, rabies shot, spay/neuter, microchip and county license.
- Cats range from $60 to $75. All cats receive their shots, deworming, rabies shot and spay/neuter. Cats in the condos are $60 and those in the communal room are $75. Cats in the communal room have been tested and are negative for FELV/FIV, whereas the others have not been tested.
- Our shelter also requires that an adoption application be completed before adopting a pet.
Where can I see adoptable pets?
- Visit our shelter Monday through Saturday from noon-4 p.m. You also can check out our Facebook or Pet Finder pages to see some animals available for adoption.
Is there a fee to reclaim my pet if it has been picked up by animal control?
- If we have picked up your pet as a stray, there is a fee to reclaim it from our shelter. The first-time fee is $35, second time is $60 and third time is $100.
Do I need to purchase a license for my dog?
- Yes. Under federal law, all dog owners must purchase a license for their dog.
How can I purchase a dog license?
- A single dog license may be purchased at Hardin County Animal Shelter; Vine Grove City Hall or West Point City Hall; or at your local veterinary offices, including Elizabethtown Animal Hospital, Helmwood Vet Clinic, Radcliff Vet Clinic, North Hardin Vet Clinic and Heartland Vet Clinic.
- Kennel Licenses are ONLY Available at Hardin County Animal Control. Cost is $50 for up to 10 dogs, $75 for 11 or more.