Hardin County Animal Shelter
220 Peterson Drive
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
Hours for Receiving Animals: Monday-Saturday, Noon – 4 p.m.
Adoption Hours: Monday-Saturday, Noon-4 p.m.
Emergency after-hours number: 270-737-4217
If you have a lost pet, please send pet info and a picture to our e-mail address listed below.
Animal Care & Control Director
What should I do if I’ve lost a pet?
- If you’ve lost a pet, we encourage you to visit the shelter in person to search for it and leave your contact information with a description of your lost pet. Descriptions of animals over the phone can be difficult to interpret.
How can I volunteer at Hardin County Animal Shelter?
- Request volunteer application in person at the shelter. You must be 14 or older to volunteer.
What other ways can I support the Animal Shelter?
- Hardin County Animal Shelter accepts donations of food and supplies. Also, Friends of Hardin County Animal Shelter helps provide materials and equipment outside of the shelter’s budget.
- More information on donating to Friends of Hardin County Animal Shelter is available here – http://www.fohcas.org
What are the animal adoption fees?
- Dogs are $90, which includes shots, deworming, rabies shot, spay/neuter, microchip and county license.
- Cats range from $60 to $75. All cats receive their shots, deworming, rabies shot and spay/neuter. Cats in the condos are $60 and those in the communal room are $75. Cats in the communal room have been tested and are negative for FELV/FIV, whereas the others have not been tested.
- Our shelter also requires that an adoption application be completed before adopting a pet.
Where can I see adoptable pets?
- Visit our shelter Monday through Saturday from noon-4 p.m. You also can check out our Facebook or Pet Finder pages to see some animals available for adoption.
Is there a fee to reclaim my pet if it has been picked up by animal control?
- If we have picked up your pet as a stray, there is a fee to reclaim it from our shelter. The first-time fee is $50, second time is $100 and third time is $150.
- If dog does not have a current license, owner must purchase one at time of reclaim for $30.
- Proof of current rabies vaccination from a licensed veterinarian must be presented at time of reclaim.
Do I need to purchase a license for my dog?
- Yes. Under Hardin County law Ordinance No. 215 series 2004, all dog owners must purchase a license for their dog.
How can I purchase a dog license?
- A single dog license may be purchased at Hardin County Animal Shelter; Vine Grove City Hall or West Point City Hall; or at your local veterinary offices, including Elizabethtown Animal Hospital, Helmwood Vet Clinic, Radcliff Vet Clinic, North Hardin Vet Clinic, Heartland Vet Clinic and Country Critter Vet Clinic.
- Single license cost is $15 if dog is spayed/neutered and $30 if dog is NOT spayed/neutered.
- Kennel Licenses are ONLY Available at Hardin County Animal Control. Cost is $75 for up to 10 dogs, $150 for 11 to 20 dogs and $250 for 21 or more dogs. In addition to the kennel license, an individual license must be purchased for each dog.
Can you help with stray or alley cats?